Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Doing GREAT Things?!?






My husband and I were talking last night about how many times have we said to our children, “you’re going to do GREAT things!” How many times did our parents say that to us? On one hand…it’s wonderful to have encouragement and belief in us that we can do great things.  On the other hand…not having what “GREAT” is defined for us can be detrimental, and even discouraging. 

I mean, C’mon….I’m in my mid 40’s…and I have to admit…while I LOVE my life and wouldn’t change a thing about it….I’ve always had this nagging feeling I’ve not lived up to my potential because I’ve never done that “great” thing.  I always feel like there’s this moment that is gonna come and it is going to be “MY MOMENT”…The moment when I change the world…the moment that I do my “GREAT” thing and will be known for.  But do you know what?!?! I live those moments daily. 

Do you really think if Moses wouldn’t have had 40 years of little, life changing moments…that he would have had his “GREAT” moment leading the Israelites out of bondage? The Great thing he did began WAY before He became the leader of the Israelites. 

When we speak to our children and say, “You’re going to be a WORLD CHANGER”, do we help define what a world changer is?  If we don’t…we could be setting our children up for a disappointing life…one where they are disappointed in themselves for not living up to some standard their parents placed on them. It is a well-meaning standard…to encourage, and to speak into their destiny.  But being a world changer, and doing great things, doesn’t have to mean you’re leading a mega church, or worship ministry.  It doesn’t have to mean that you’re famous and all over the news and media.  It doesn’t have to mean so many people know you because of all the awesome things you do. 

Really….being a world changer could mean you pour your life into your child and the next generation daily.  Doing “GREAT” things could mean extra ordinary things you do on a daily basis…caring for parents, or a sick child, or the homeless.  It could mean that you bring in foster children and show them love and family. It could mean that you adopt a child or children and give them a loving home they would never have otherwise.  It could mean so many things. 

I DO believe my children are going to do great things.  But I pray that God helps me redefine what great actually is.  Matthew 23:11-12 states:


 “Do you want to stand out? Then step down. Be a servant. If you puff yourself up, you’ll get the wind knocked out of you. But if you’re content to simply be yourself, your life will count for plenty.” (The Message)


This is a scripture that I need to be more mindful of daily. It is a message that we need to pour into our children and let them know…THIS is what GREAT is!! THIS is what being a world changer is. 
So don’t stop encouraging your children that they will do GREAT things…and don’t feel you’ve not done great things because you’re not some “big person” known by all.  Remember….the greatest of these…is the servant. 

Let’s remember to define for our children what GREAT is! Then as they grow into a beautiful young woman or man of God….they will have their eyes on serving others and they will think of themselves less.  In doing that…they will automatically become world changers. 

This is just another pearl of purpose I’m learning in this thing called Life!!! Praying you all have a blessed, and purposeful Thanksgiving!!

No comments: