Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Simplify and Focus

Just last night...I sat in the den with my family hanging out.  Some of us were reading...some were playing games....and others were watching television.  I happened to be one that was watching television.  I was focusing intently on getting information from the news of the day. I didn't have the volume too loud...because I didn't want to disturb everyone else in the room from what they were doing.  So I was doing my best to push out the noise from everyone else and intently focus on what was being reported on the news.

The more I would try and listen closely the louder my kids got.  They were oblivious to anyone else in the room.  They weren't being disrespectful at all...they were just doing what they were doing.  But the louder they got in the room the less I could hear the message from the news.  No matter how hard I was focusing and pressing into what was coming out of the television...I missed the message.

Now my question is...did I miss the message because I wasn't listening? OR...did I miss the message because I had too many distractions that were keeping me from hearing what I was listening to?

SO many times...the latter is the case.  Life has a way of filling up our schedules and consuming our day.  Before we know it...we have ZERO time left and we are exhausted and frustrated because of how exhausted and busy we are.  Most everything we are doing are GOOD things.  It is so difficult to distinguish between the GOOD things and the GOD things in our lives.  There are so many good things to be doing.

But as I have experienced...doing good things and allowing them to swallow up our time....distracts us sometimes from even HEARING the God things.  Remember Martha in scripture?

Luke 10:38-40 Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a village. And a woman named Martha welcomed him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to his teaching. But Martha was distracted with much serving. And she went up to him and said, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me.”

Was Martha doing something that was BAD?  Of course not!! She was serving her Lord, her Master! She was doing good things...to bless Him and meet His needs! But what did Jesus say when she came to him frustrated that her sister wasn't SERVING with her?!?  In verses 41 and 42 he said:

41 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but few things are needed—or indeed only one.[f] Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”

Mary has chosen what is better! She put aside EVERYTHING that was distracting her and focused all her attention on hearing HIS voice!

When we stop being SO BUSY and allow ourselves to SIMPLIFY and FOCUS on what HE is saying...then we will know what to be busy about.  We will know what to say yes to and what to say no too instead of running around doing EVERYTHING frazzled!!! I saw this quote this morning that I thought was great!
"It's not so much how busy you are, but WHY you are busy.  The bee is praised; the mosquito is swatted." - Marie O'Conner

Isn't it true?!? When we are SO distracted from our priorities and what we need to be focusing on...we can become annoying and frustrating to others.  I know that I have been in that place with my family and others in the past.  I don't WANT to be that way though.  I WANT to be a blessing.  

Laying aside all the distractions that cause us to "buzz around frantically" and focus on hearing HIS voice will allow us in all areas of our lives become focused and in turn capable of carrying out what HE is trying to tell us to do.  Then we can carry out what He is saying with obedient hearts and we WILL be a blessing!!  

My prayer today is that you will stop....ask Him what are the distractions in your life that prevent you from being able to hear HIS voice clearly.  And ask HIM to show you how to put aside those distractions - no matter how good of a thing it is you are doing.   In doing that...you will simplify your life...and you will be more focused on what you are SUPPOSED to be focused on.  As Jesus eluded to Martha....Choose what is better!! 

Once again...another pearl of purpose God is teaching me!! Have a wonderful week! Blessings! 



1 comment:

Kim K. said...

Beautiful message, Buffi.