Friday, January 6, 2012

A Walk With My Master

Today I went on a walk...a walk with my dog. She needs to get out more and it was a beautiful day for a walk for us both, and a good time for me to begin prayer walking. (Something God has put on my heart to do.) As always...when I take "Pretzel" (my dog) out for a walk...she is over zealous and cannot stay at my pace. She races ahead of me with all her excitement. Its obvious she cannot WAIT for this walk that is ahead of us.

As we continued to walk...the more she would get ahead of me...the more I would run out of leash and it would tug at her neck. I KNEW it had to be extremely uncomfortable for her. I kept encouraging her to stay at my pace and not get ahead of me, her master. She tried...but was quite tempted to get ahead of me.

Along the walk...I think she stopped every minute or so...jerking my side of the leash. Causing me to stop and postponing our journey. She was sniffing at every little scent she smelled...making her mark...and distracted by every sound and smell. She couldn't focus on following me and staying with me along the path. I know it is her NATURE as a dog to sniff everything and stop and bark at everything...but it would have made the journey SO MUCH easier and pleasant if she would have just chilled out and followed me! :)

I couldn't help but think about my daily walk with MY master, Christ Jesus. I know there is a journey He, my Heavenly Father, is taking me on. It is beyond what I could ever think or imagine.

1 Corinthians 2:9 says "No one's ever seen or heard anything like this, Never so much as imagined anything quite like it— What God has arranged for those who love him." (The Message)

That makes me excited to walk with him daily for what He has for me...cause I KNOW its going to be awesome. But like my sweet little dog "Pretzel" I don't always make the journey easier and as pleasant as it should be. I learned some lessons from her.

1. Remember to not get ahead of what God is doing, be sensitive to his pace even if it is slower than what you would like. Getting ahead of him places us in a situation where we could be hanging out on our own, and that could get quite painful not walking in HIS timing and in HIS way. Walk at HIS pace and be content with his timing. Its really the best and quickest way to your destination.

2. Don't get distracted by every little thing that comes your way while you're on your journey. I know it is our nature to get distracted (worry, become fearful, get side tracked, try to fix things ourselves, etc)...just like it was my dogs nature to be distracted by all the scents she was smelling. BUT...sometimes...in order for my journey to be more pleasant and the way the Lord intends...I have to lay aside my "natural tendencies" and just walk straight with him...trusting HIM. No need for me to figure things out...just trust and walk with Him. Its a very difficult thing to do...especially when we are dealing with our "flesh" our natural tendencies. But we can depend on the Holy Spirit to help us daily as we walk on this journey. He will give us the strength and grace to stay focused.

3. When you're tired and don't feel like you can push on...keep on pushing. Sometimes that walk, that journey, is a little longer that you had counted on. You pushed so much up front to make things happen. You got tired quicker than you were counting on. But don't give up...keep on keeping on. Galatians 6:9 says not to grow weary in doing good...for you will reap what you sow if you do not faint!!" Hang in there and keep walking with your Master on the journey He has for you. Refreshment will be at the journeys end.

I promise....the destination He has for us is so much more than we could ever imagine...but its the journey that prepares us to be fruitful and content when we get there.

My walk with my master today was indeed a pearl of purpose. Blessings on you!! Have a wonderful weekend!!



1 comment:

jhand said...

What a wonderful "pearl"! Thanks so much for sharing. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and are having a Happy New Year!
Blessings,
Julie Hand