Friday, May 8, 2009

What Kind of Clay are You?

So this week...I heard this story, and I have not been able to get it out of my mind. It really spoke to me, and I would like to share it with you. Maybe it will speak to your heart as well!

Not long ago, several home school families were on a field trip. It was sort of a trade day of sorts. As a couple of moms walked through to look at all the arts and crafts...they came upon this potter. He was working away with his clay and wheel. It was amazing to watch this craftsman at work.

As they watched...they began to ask the potter about himself. He gladly answered their questions as he continued to work. One mom asked him where he was from. He said Gadsden. She thought that was SO interesting. She proceeded to tell this potter that several of the other potters there at the craft show were ALSO from Gadsden.

Not surprised, the potter nonchalantly said, "OH...that's not uncommon. You will always find a potter where the clay is good!"

OK...WOW...did that hit you like it did me?!?! The potter will always be where the clay is good!!!! What a powerful statement! Of course....as a Christian, I recognize our Lord as the master potter. So I had to look up what makes clay good for being used. Wow....here are some things I found.

1. Plasticity: Without a very high level of flexibility, the clay simply won't be workable on the wheel.

Plasticity must be something the Lord is working with me on daily!!!! He is teaching this little choleric gal to be flexible...to learn to roll with the punches...and not get so worked up when things don't go my way. We MUST be flexible in our daily walk other wise...we'll break!

As you are on the potters wheel of life...remember...BE FLEXIBLE when the Lord applies strength and pressure in order to mold you. It will make things SO MUCH easier!!!

2. Strength: Throwing clays must be highly plastic, but also retain enough strength to stand upright when thrown into thin-walled, tall forms.

This is a challenge. Being flexible while remaining strong! A TRUE challenge...but something we call all strive for. We have to be strong enough during these times of strength and pressure to retain the shape that God is molding in us. A challenge...but yes...POSSIBLE!!!

3. Water Absorption: Clay absorbs water while it is being formed on the potter's wheel, which is why the longer a clay is worked on the wheel, the softer it becomes.

What could represent this water? Hmmmm...my guess is the Word of God and the Holy Spirit continually speaking to us as we are being formed into the Potters desire. As we continue to receive....the softer we become and the easier it is to mold us.

Honestly...these things just scrape the surface of all that is in that little statement...'the potter is always where the clay is good." This is a multi-layered statement that I will probably be "chewing on" for a while.

But, I couldn't resist sharing it with you all!!! So, I pose the question...what kind of clay are we? Do we posses the qualities of "good clay"? Where we KNOW the potter is going to be working on us and making us who He wants us to be?

Ask the Lord today to reveal to you what kind of clay you are! He wants to do SO MUCH in and through us! I pray that we are ALL mold able!!

I leave you with one of my favorite scriptures. "Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Delight here means..."be soft and pliable". I believe that is our goal...to be soft and pliable and let the master potter create the master design in our lives!!!

I'm going for now...but I will continue to ponder this statement. What kind of clay am I? I want the Potter to be working with me!


6 comments:

Kim K. said...

Once again, another inspirational post. I always look forward to your Pearls of Purpose posts. Keep them coming, Buffi.

PS. Happy Mother's Day a bit early!!!

Kimberly said...

Wow! That is fantastic! I love, love, love how He speaks to us through ALL that is around us...including clay. I had never thought about the qualities of clay...that good clay needed to be both flexible AND strong.

These are indeed some excellent thoughts to chew on, Buffi! Thanks for sharing them. I'm gonna go chew on them myself!

Have a blessed weekend! Happy Mother's Day!

Lisa Laree said...

That's good, Buffi! I've done just a bit w/clay (haven't attempted the wheel yet...that's really intimidating!) and I believe you're spot on. Wait 'till you get to the firing process... ;)

Xandra@Heart-of-Service said...

Oh I want to be good clay, but I'm afraid that often all God has to work with is mediocre clay. Praying that I become more soft and pliable as the days pass...

Xandra

Amy said...

I needed this - wish I would have read during my trip to India :) Thanks for allowing the Lord to use you in writing and being an encourager!

Blessed2Serve said...

Wow. What a cool story and interesting facts about clay! Where were you guys at? I spent some time near Gadsden and never knew it was an area with "good clay". The things you learn blog-surfing...