Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Used Coffee Grounds

A few years ago, my precious husband bought me this awesome 1 cup coffee brewer for Mothers Day. He knew how much I LOVED to drink coffee, especially in the mornings...but because he didn't drink coffee...I wouldn't fix a pot just for me. So...I just didn't do coffee at all!

Let me tell you...I LOVE this machine!! It's called the Keurig Coffee Maker. (I totally recommend it). The only bad thing about it now is that ever since I've gotten it...my kids want to drink the coffee with me. The machine uses little K-cups that is enough for 1 cup of coffee. So, if they want some...I'd have to use another one...but that would get VERY expensive. So I either share, or let them re-use my grounds. Now...I love being able to share a "moment" with them...but after a while...it gets a little ridiculous! I just want MY coffee...for MY time! Anyone know what I mean!?!? :)

Well...our oldest daughter has really developed a taste for good coffee. (I'm not sure if that is GOOD or not...but she has!). With our many "Mother/Daughter" trips to Starbucks...how could she NOT develop that taste for coffee!!

So last week...she came through the house and asked me if she could have some coffee. I reluctantly told her she could use my used grounds...but it wouldn't be as strong!

At that moment....(it was a God moment)...I just felt like the Lord spoke to my heart and said EXACTLY!!!! I had to stop and think about what He was saying to me.

Used coffee grounds will make "watered down" coffee. So...getting my "quiet time...my time that is supposed to be from HIM" from someone else's quiet time...while it may be good information and edifying...it is watered down and not as strong and powerful as it would be if it came directly from HIM! Wow!!! So good!!

Time management is difficult for me sometimes. I don't always get the most important things in there first...then I have to just cram in what I can get in, when I can get it in. But because I'm doing that...I'm not living and walking in the strongest and most powerful way that I can.

We have GOT to get that FRESH cup of the Lord every morning. FRESH from HIM!!! AHHHH....I can just smell it!!! It is so good!!! I encourage all of us to not just live off of used grounds from others quiet time...but to crave that aroma that only comes from HIM every morning. He's waiting on us...all we have to do is go to Him and get it!! :)

This is something I am definitely needing to work on. It IS a weakness of mine...but I know when I'm weak...HE is strong and He will give me the desire and the discipline to do it!!! All I have to do is ask....You too!!

I hope you have a day started on fresh grounds from the Lord!!!! There's nothing like it first thing in the morning!! :)

11 comments:

Leisha said...

This makes me think "Fill Me Up" - how can we begin to give to others in a way that honors our precious father if we are feeding them from our watered down brew - good stuff my sweet friend - thanks!! Love you ;-)

Xandra@Heart-of-Service said...

First, I love the page! Second, I love, love, love my Keurig machine! Actually, it's Trevor's since that was his present last Christmas, but we are totally hooked! The kids argue about who get to make mommy's coffee in the morning, since it's so easy!

Xandra

Amy said...

This is such a great analogy! I too struggle with that discipline but my day is SO much better when I give Him my first fruits. Keep writing - these blogs are great :).

Kim K. said...

What a great analogy. I'm looking forward to this new blog, Buffi.

Thanks for your kind words to Emma regarding our recent pet loss. It was a hard night. She looked pretty rough for school this morning.

LeighAnne said...

Buffi,

What an awesome analogy the Lord gave you. I am really focusing on being very diligent and committed to my "quiet time" this year and to Scripture memorization. Our church is on a 21 day fast right now and I am so enjoying my quiet time everyday. It has been so refreshing! Yes, time management is HARD and I don't even have kids yet. It is aggrevating, because I always feel so much better when I have my quiet time and I let the little "irritants" in my life get in my way so many times. Here's to staying focused and filled up! :) Love you girl.

LeighAnne

Amanda said...

What a great word, and a real challenge for us all!! I know it is for me!!

The Ferrill's said...

Oh Amen! Love the analogy, Buffi!

Mommaof3monks said...

This is GOOD Buffi! Really Good. It really ministered to me, spoke directly to my heart. Thank you for sharing. I needed that push in this area that the Holy Spirit had already been tugging.

love ya!
Christie

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

Excellent! What a great point in the used coffee grounds and spending time with God. I will use this with our church youth lessons as we are in a study that involves taking a deeper look at "quiet times with God". Thanks!

In His Graces~Pamela

Anonymous said...

i just happened to run across your blog and i LOVE it!! thank you for sharing! you are so right...sometimes life gets so busy we all use those used up coffee grounds to get by! but thank goodness our LORD is right there waiting to be our fresh cup of coffee everyday!! what a great way to look at it! blessings.
brandy~texas

jhand said...

Boy did I need to hear that! Thanks for being open to sharing on your new blog.

Julie Hand