Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Black Shirt

Ok, I have a confession! About 7 or 8 years ago...I purchased a black shirt from a second hand store. I LOVED it! It was from New York and Company...(which is BY FAR my favorite store!!) I think I got it for like $5. A GREAT buy. What is so good about this shirt is that it's Polyester and no matter what you do with it...(wad it up....lay it in a pile...leave it in the dryer too long...) it looks great!! It doesn't wrinkle or anything. It became my favorite shirt!!!

The bad thing is...after almost 10 years...it is STILL my favorite shirt and my husband BEGS me not to wear it anymore. I know, I know...we all have our favorite things that we like to put on...but I believe that I take this black shirt to a new level. I literally could wear it everyday of the week. You know...I'm a stay home mom...I don't really go anywhere that much...and if I do...it's not anywhere consistent...so I won't see the same people. So...I just put it on every morning! (I know...I'm sure it's gross to some of you out there!!)

Anyway...this morning I found myself putting on that same black shirt again...and I wondered "why in the world do I wear this all the time?" So I started to think about it....Well...it's comfortable first thing. I feel like it to some degree looks nice if I had to go out unexpectedly, at least it's better than a slouchy t-shirt. Also...I don't have to think about what to wear. I hate having to put forth effort into worrying what to wear each day. It's a habit....something I've just gotten used to doing for the last decade almost...and it's just plain comfortable for me to do.

But when I began to think about this, I thought to myself...this really can't be a good thing. My hubby is right. PLEASE....wear something different...don't stay in the same old rut.

Yes...I'm talking about clothes....but this can SO be applied to life. What do we do when we get into a "funk" a "rut"? We revert back to our old, comfortable way of doing things. Which most of the time, isn't good for us to do, because our old ways need to be renewed and refined. It's just easier to do things the way we used to...or the way that is comfortable. It's WORK to change the way we look at certain situations....or what we choose to do with our days, or respond to certain situations. It's just plain uncomfortable to step out of our routine and do something different, isn't it?

I'm reminded of the scripture in Romans where it talks about not doing things in the same pattern as the world. You know...we can look at "the world" as the secular things out there...or we can look at it as "our world" the way we do things in our little world...those comfortable, easy things that really require no thought or effort on our part to do. Our little "ruts" that we get into. Read here that scripture from The Message.

Romans 12:2 (The Message)
1-2 So here's what I want you to do, God helping you: Take your everyday, ordinary life—your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life—and place it before God as an offering. Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for him. Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it. Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you.

The KEY.....is "God helping You". FIX our attention on HIM....and the way HE wants us to respond and what HE wants us to do. After all...isn't that the BEST way?!?! And yes....EVEN the way I think about how much I hate to think about what I'm going to wear. It's a rut...a negative way for me to think and I just need to DAILY ask God to help me so I can finally lay this black shirt down.

What's the black shirt in your life today? What do you pick up on a daily basis that is maybe a bad way of thinking....a negative or selfish action....or a careless flippant way of living? We've all got to lay our comfortable "black shirts" down, and choose a new way of living...a new way of looking at life! I challenge you today.....choose God's way of looking at things....Lay your "black shirts down!!"
Love you all!

3 comments:

Xandra@Heart-of-Service said...

But I love my black shirt(s)! You are so right...we need to get rid of some of those comfortable old habits so we can see the new things God has in store for us.

Xandra

Amy said...

You should publish devotionals! This was great! We all have issues that we wear like a comfortable shirt!

Meredith Teagarden said...

I have a black shirt I love too! Oh dear...